The lost tribes of Israel : the history of a myth / Tudor Parfitt.
By: Parfitt, Tudor.Material type: BookPublisher: London : Phoenix, 2003Description: 310 pages ; 20 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 1842126652(pbk.).Subject(s): Lost tribes of Israel | Jewish diasparaDDC classification: 909.04924
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Davis (Central) Library Non-Fiction||Non-Fiction||909.04924 PAR||1||Available|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
The quest for the Lost Tribes of Israel, like the quest for the Holy Grail, is one of the enduring motifs underlying Western views of the wider world. It has spawned legends that have been used to explain the origin of myriad people around the globe, from ancient times until the present. Each tribe of Israel claimed descent from one of the twelve sons of Jacob, and the land of Israel was eventually divided up between them. The tribes disappeared from history centuries before Christ, but the Bible foretold that one day they would be reunited in the final redemption of the people of Israel. Their subsequent history became a tapestry of hearsay, and the belief persisted that they had been "lost" in some remote part of the world. In his new book, Tudor Parfitt travels the world to trace the history of this compelling myth. Tudor Parfitt is the author of Operation Moses and Journey to a Vanished City.
Originally published: London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2002.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
5 8 11 74 91
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Acknowledgements (p. ix)
- 1. The Lost Tribes of Israel (p. 1)
- 2. As the Sand of the Sea: Israelites, the Spanish and the New World (p. 28)
- 3. The Invisible Hebrews - a Myth of Albion (p. 41)
- 4. The Puritans, American Indians and the End of Days (p. 66)
- 5. A Star in the West: Israelites and the Americas (p. 91)
- 6. From the Chi'ang to the Karen: Israel in the East (p. 115)
- 7. The Land of Hard Bondage: the Lost Tribes in India (p. 132)
- 8. The Burmese Frontier: The Land of Strangers (p. 149)
- 9. Doomed to Wander: Lost Tribes in the Pacific and New Zealand (p. 163)
- 10. Our Own People of Joseph's Seed: Japan (p. 176)
- 11. Africa: Abraham's Seed (p. 193)
- 12. Crossing the Red Sea (p. 229)
- Conclusion (p. 246)
- Notes (p. 250)
- Index (p. 299)