Gamp VC : the wartime story of maverick submarine commander Anthony Miers / Brian Izzard.
By: Izzard, Brian.Material type: BookPublisher: Sparkford : Haynes, 2009Description: 272 pages : illustrations, portraits ; 24 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 9781844257256(hbk).Subject(s): Miers, Anthony, 1906-1985 | Great Britain. Royal Navy -- History -- World War, 1939-1945 | Great Britain. Royal Navy -- Officers | World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations, British | World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations -- SubmarineDDC classification: Summary: Rear Admiral Anthony Miers VC - nicknamed 'Gamp' - was one of the Royal Navy's most controversial submarine commanders of WW2. After his death in 1985, allegations were made that he may have been responsible for war crimes in the Aegean in 1941. This book relates his war career and fully examines the war crimes allegation.
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Davis (Central) Library Non-Fiction||Non-Fiction||940.5451 IZZ||1||Available|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
One of the most controversial wartime Royal Navy commanders, Rear Admiral Anthony Miers VC was accused of war crimes after his death in 1985. Izzard here relates the story of this colourful character and fully examines the war crimes allegation.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Rear Admiral Anthony Miers VC - nicknamed 'Gamp' - was one of the Royal Navy's most controversial submarine commanders of WW2. After his death in 1985, allegations were made that he may have been responsible for war crimes in the Aegean in 1941. This book relates his war career and fully examines the war crimes allegation.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- 1 Ball of Fire (p. 6)
- 2 Killed in Action (p. 13)
- 3 Captain of HMS Torbay (p. 28)
- 4 War in the Mediterranean (p. 46)
- 5 Nazi Public Enemy No.1 (p. 54)
- 6 The Great Escape (p. 61)
- 7 You're Under Arrest (p. 68)
- 8 The Skipper's Mad (p. 75)
- 9 Special Forces (p. 82)
- 10 Operations Copper and Flipper (p. 86)
- 11 Highly Decorated (p. 103)
- 12 The Victoria Cross (p. 113)
- 13 The Last Patrol (p. 122)
- 14 Never Mind Palace Protocol (p. 130)
- 15 The Largest Ship in the World (p. 143)
- 16 Not Aggressive Enough (p. 168)
- 17 Under Fire Again (p. 181)
- 18 Bigamy! (p. 192)
- 19 The Men Who Never Returned (p. 200)
- 20 Peace and War (p. 205)
- 21 The Saddest Day (p. 225)
- 22 Ludovic Kennedy Accuses (p. 236)
- Appendix 1 Awards of Rear-Admiral Sir Anthony Miers (p. 252)
- Appendix 2 HMS Torbay, the T (Triton) Class Submarine (p. 253)
- Appendix 3 Maps (p. 254)
- Notes and Sources (p. 256)
- Bibliography (p. 265)
- Acknowledgements (p. 267)
- Index (p. 268)