The lost masters : the looting of Europe's treasurehouses / Peter Harclerode and Brendan Pittaway.
By: Harclerode, Peter.
Contributor(s): Pittaway, Brendan.Material type: BookPublisher: London : Orion, 2000Description: 320p., p. of plates : illustrations ; 20 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 9781566492539(pbk).Subject(s): Art thefts -- Germany -- History -- 20th century | World War, 1939-1945 -- Destruction and pillage -- Europe | Art treasures in war -- Europe | World War, 1939-1945 -- Europe -- Art and the warDDC classification:
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Davis (Central) Library Non-Fiction||Non-Fiction||940.531 HAR||1||Available|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
The Lost Masters is the most up-to-date account of the tragic looting of Europe and the victims' attempt to reclaim the precious art heritage.
Originally published: London: Gollancz, 1999.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Acknowledgements (p. viii)
- Preface (p. xi)
- 1 The Pillage of Europe (p. 1)
- 2 Licensed to Loot (p. 24)
- 3 The Thief of Karinhall (p. 46)
- 4 The Treasure Hunters (p. 76)
- 5 Operation Ebensburg (p. 99)
- 6 The Swiss Connection (p. 122)
- 7 A Wild Goose Chase (p. 146)
- 8 To the Victors the Spoils (p. 164)
- 9 Trophies of War (p. 193)
- 10 The Land of the Free (p. 228)
- 11 Blood on their Hands (p. 257)
- 12 Twice Bitten (p. 280)
- 13 A Can of Worms (p. 313)
- 14 No End in Sight (p. 331)
- Epilogue (p. 342)
- Notes (p. 352)
- Bibliography (p. 378)
- Index (p. 391)