Disarming the teenage heart : helping teens navigate today's cultural minefields / Jeff Leeland.
By: Leeland, Jeff.Material type: BookPublisher: Colorado Springs, Colo : Life Journey, 2003Description: 159 pages ; 22 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 0781438705(pbk).Subject(s): Christian teenagers -- Religious life | Church work with youthDDC classification:
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Davis (Central) Library Non-Fiction||Non-Fiction||259 LEE||1||Available|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
Today's teens are bombarded with messages--messages that suggest that their success in life depends on how closely they take to heart the Four B's: beauty, brawn, bank accounts, and brains. As a result, teens sometimes wage war within themselves--and often with others--in a 'survival of the fittest' contest. "Winners" get the worldly goods of popularity, position, pleasure, and pride. "Losers" find ways to level the playing fields, sometimes with deadly force. Disarming the Teenage Heart will teach you how to help teens replace lies, anger, fear and pain with God's Four C's of Inner Power: conscience, character, courage, and compassion. Armed with these virtues, teens can overcome the destructive forces around them and take their rightful place among today's heroes. every parent, teacher, youth worker, pastor, and friend of a teen will value the inspirational stories and practical, biblical instruction in Disarming the Teenage Heart.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 158-159).
Introduction : the story of a sparrow -- Surface living, deep needs and the four-Bs -- Disarming the heart : the four-Cs -- Compassion : the romance of an inner beauty -- Courage: the heroism of an inner brawn -- Character : the wealth of an inner bank account -- Conscience : the wisdom of an inner brain -- Teaching kids to do heroic things -- Four-C stories for the literate soul -- The fifth-C : communities of sanctuary -- Search institute : the forty assets for adolescents -- Sparrow clubs.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Introduction: Introduction: The Story of a Sparrow (p. 5)
- Chapter 1 Surface Living, Deep Needs, and the Four Bs (p. 15)
- Chapter 2 Disarming the Heart: The Four Cs (p. 29)
- Chapter 3 Compassion: The Romance of Inner Beauty (p. 40)
- Chapter 4 Courage: The Heroism of Inner Brawn (p. 55)
- Chapter 5 Character: The Wealth of an Inner Bank Account (p. 77)
- Chapter 6 Conscience: The Wisdom of an Inner Brain (p. 94)
- Chapter 7 Teaching Kids to Do Heroic Things (p. 111)
- Chapter 8 Four C Stories for the Literate Soul (p. 126)
- Chapter 9 The Fifth C: Communities of Sanctuary (p. 143)
- Appendix 1 Sparrow Clubs (p. 154)
- Appendix 2 Search Institute: The 40 Assets for Adolescents (p. 157)
- Bibliography (p. 158)