Espionage : the greatest spy operations of the twentieth century / Ernest Volkman.
By: Volkman, Ernest.Material type: BookPublisher: New York : J. Wiley & Sons, c1995Description: xxiv, 264 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 0471014923 (acid-free paper).Subject(s): Espionage -- History -- 20th century | Intelligence service -- History -- 20th centuryDDC classification: Online resources: Table of Contents
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Davis (Central) Library Non-Fiction||Non-Fiction||327.12 VOL||1||Available|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
DISCOVER THE SPYING OPERATIONS THAT CHANGED THE COURSE OF HISTORY
Espionage expert Ernest Volkman goes behind the scenes of 20th-century history to uncover twenty-three incredible capers, con games, and subterfuges. Here are just a few:
* Windows shattered in Manhattan, shrapnel struck the Statue of Liberty, and the Brooklyn Bridge swayed when, in July of 1916, German saboteurs blew up the huge Black Tom munitions dump near Bayonne, New Jersey. The spectacular explosion galvanized public opinion against Germany and helped bring the United States into World War I.
* Japan's seizure of the Mandate Islands in the central Pacific triggered U.S. covert activities. Could the secret of Amelia Earhart's tragic final flight be connected to America's pre-war jitters?
* In the early 1920s, to ensure the survival of the fledgling Soviet state, Lenin used his personal intelligence service, CHEKA, to control anti-Bolshevik resistance. Enemies of the revolution were lured to their destruction through the ironically named Trust Operation.
* How were the Allies able to counter Hitler's deadliest weapons? For six years a mole inside Nazi Germany's scientific establishment betrayed the secrets of his country's classified military research to Britain's MI6.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Grand Deceptions
- The Master Spy's Last Case
- Our Man in Havana
- The Descent of A3725
- Spies in The Ether
- The Bronze Goddess
- The Key to Rebecca
- The Enemy Within
- The Hollow Tennis Racket
- The Biggest Secret
- A Wilderness of Mirrors
- The Mole War
- The Lady at the Kiosk
- East Wind, Rain
- The Family That Spied
- The Pirates of Tel Aviv
- Espionage as Opera Bouffe