The great escape : the longest tunnel / Mike Meserole.
By: Meserole, Mike.Material type: BookSeries: Sterling point books: Publisher: New York : Sterling Pub., 2008Description: x, 225 pages : illustrations ; 21 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 9781402757051 (pbk.); 1402757050.Subject(s): Stalag Luft III | World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, German | World War, 1939-1945 -- Concentration camps -- Poland -- Żagań | Prisoner-of-war escapes -- Poland -- Żagań | World War, 1939-1945 -- Concentration camps -- Poland -- Zagan | Prisoner-of-war escapes -- Poland -- ZaganDDC classification: 940.54724 MES
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due|
|Childrens Non-Fiction||Davis (Central) Library Children's Non-fiction||Children's Non-fiction||940.54 MES||1||Available|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
A spine-tingling, suspenseful true story of escape during World War II.
Spring, 1943; Stalag Luft III, Germany: every prisoner in the Nazi camps had one thought in mind--to get out. The organization was in place, with men digging hidden passageways and squads dispersing yellow sand in the middle of soccer scrimmages. Forgers worked to create false travel documents. Tailors stitched up civilian suits from blankets. Their goal? To break out of an "escape-proof" German prison camp and raise havoc throughout the German countryside. The stakes were high, however: anyone caught would be executed.
Author Mike Meserole keeps the tension high in this newly-written tale filled with daring and danger. Kids will hang on to every word.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
5 11 27
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- 1 It's an Officer's Duty to Escape (p. 1)
- 2 The New Big X (p. 14)
- 3 North Compound (p. 19)
- 4 The Tunnel King, the Ex-Con, and the Penguins (p. 33)
- 5 Keeping a Secret (p. 47)
- 6 Digging Tunnels (p. 53)
- 7 The Fourth of July (p. 58)
- 8 High Stakes Chess (p. 65)
- 9 Tom Is Found (p. 73)
- 10 Tom's Revenge (p. 81)
- 11 The Yanks Move Out (p. 88)
- 12 Christmas Comes Early (p. 95)
- 13 Harry Reopens for Business (p. 102)
- 14 Rubberneck Strikes (p. 114)
- 15 Harry Is Ready to Go (p. 124)
- 16 Tonight's the Night (p. 134)
- 17 Escape (p. 154)
- 18 The Cooler Is Full (p. 168)
- 19 Roundup and Reprisals (p. 178)
- Epilogue (p. 195)
- The Great Escapers (p. 201)
- Bibliography (p. 207)
- Index (p. 211)
- About the Author (p. 226)