Journeys with the black dog : inspirational stories of bringing depression to heel / edited by Tessa Wigney, Kerrie Eyers & Gordon Parker.
Contributor(s): Wigney, Tessa | Eyers, Kerrie | Parker, Gordon | Eyers, Kerrie | Parker, Gordon, 1942- | Black Dog Institute.Material type: BookPublisher: Crows Nest, N.S.W. : Allen & Unwin, c2007Description: x, 280 pages ; 20 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 9781741752649 (pbk.).Subject(s): Depressed persons -- Biography | Depression, MentalDDC classification: 616.8527 Summary: "The narratives in this collection arose from a writing competition organised by the Black Dog Institute, which called on people with mood disorders and their family members and friends to describe how they live with the black dog"--Foreword.
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Status||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Hakeke Street Library Non-Fiction||Non-Fiction||616.8527 JOU||Checked out||21/08/2019|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
Ideal for sufferers, caregivers, and loved ones searching for answers, this collection of empowering personal accounts describes the early symptoms and various forms of depression, the path to diagnosis, and the confusion and frustration that can result from attempting to keep it at bay. Revealing the hardships of grappling with a depressive disorder, it emphasizes unique methods of control through regular diet and exercise. Oscillating between humor and gut-wrenching poignancy, these compelling life stories entrust readers with a key message--while depression may not be curable, it can be managed.
Bibliography: p. -280.
Includes bibliography (p. -280).
"The narratives in this collection arose from a writing competition organised by the Black Dog Institute, which called on people with mood disorders and their family members and friends to describe how they live with the black dog"--Foreword.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- An invitation (p. 1)
- The landscape of depression: Introduction to the illness (p. 3)
- Into the void: Confusion and chaos at onset (p. 3)
- The slippery slope: Sinking into depression (p. 4)
- At the edge: Lure of the dark sirens (p. 5)
- Stepping stones: Diagnosis and disclosure (p. 6)
- Finding a way: The power of acceptance and responsibility (p. 7)
- Roads to recovery: On seeking professional help (p. 8)
- Travelling companions: Perspective of family and friends (p. 9)
- Staying on Course: Stay well' strategies (p. 10)
- The view from the top: Some positives Tips from the writers on staying well
- Where to from here?