Viral parenting : a guide to setting boundaries, building trust, and raising responsible kids in an online world / Mindy McKnight.
By: McKnight, Mindy.Material type: BookPublisher: New York, New York : Grand Central Publishing, 2019Copyright date: ©2019Edition: First edition.Description: xxii, 264 pages ; 21 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 9781538762196 (hardback).Subject(s): Parenting | Child rearing | Internet -- Social aspects | Technological innovations -- Social aspects | Internet and childrenDDC classification: 306.874 Summary: A guide to raising responsible, safe, and communicative kids in the digital world. From cell phone contracts, rules for earning an allowance, and creating a family mantra, this book teaches readers to solve problems before they happen.
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Status||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Davis (Central) Library Parenting Collection||Parenting Collection||306.874 MCK||Available|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
Mindy McKnight, YouTube's favorite mom, shares the tools parents need to keep kids safe in their online lives--and shows how to create stronger family relationships as they do.
A cross between Jen Hatmaker and Rosalind Wiseman, VIRAL PARENTING is a guide to raising responsible, safe, and communicative kids in the digital world. Mindy shares practical tools for having honest conversations with kids of all ages about privacy, bullying, respectfulness, and family time, while emphasizing the importance of trust and open communication. These strategies are timeless--whether applied to texting, snapping, Facebooking, kiking, or whatever social media platforms await us in the future, this book is ultimately about teaching children about personal responsibility and safety.
Mindy shares practical tools for creating family rules for kids of all ages about privacy, bullying, respectfulness, and family time, while emphasizing the importance of trust and open communication. Using family contracts, guided conversations, device checks, and respectful but firm oversight, the McKnights have raised a close knit family and navigated the complexity of being world-wide internet celebrities with grace. McKnight will show any parent of any child or teen how that's done--setting non-negotiable guidelines and offering a savvy perspective toward privacy that audience have been begging for.
A guide to raising responsible, safe, and communicative kids in the digital world. From cell phone contracts, rules for earning an allowance, and creating a family mantra, this book teaches readers to solve problems before they happen.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Introduction (p. vii)
- Part I Life through a Selfie Stick: How Technology has Transformed Parenting
- 1 That Was Then, This Is Now (p. 3)
- 2 What Is This New Digital Space and Why Do We Need It? (p. 16)
- 3 Rules and Contracts for Using Social Media and Cell Phones (p. 35)
- 4 Social Media Basics: Tips, Hacks, and Everything You Need to Know (p. 59)
- Part II Family and Home Life
- 5 The Family Structure (p. 101)
- 6 Make House Rules, Stick to Them, and Don't Abuse Them (p. 117)
- 7 Becoming the Loving Enforcer and Parenting on the Same Page (p. 125)
- 8 Being Honest and Safe in a World of Digital Fakery (p. 137)
- 9 The Family Responsibilities (p. 162)
- 10 The Family Squad (p. 177)
- Part III Friendship and Community
- 11 Kids, Friends, and Bullies (p. 209)
- 12 You've Got to Have Friends (p. 235)
- 13 The Digital Teeter-Totter (p. 251)
- Acknowledgments (p. 263)