What more philosophers think / edited by Jeremy Stangroom and Julian Baggini.
Contributor(s): Stangroom, Jeremy | Baggini, Julian.Material type: BookPublisher: London ; New York : Continuum, c2007Description: viii, 197 pages ; 21 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 9780826492999; 0826492991; 9780826493002; 0826493009.Subject(s): Philosophers -- Interviews | Philosophy, ModernDDC classification: 190.9/0511 Online resources: Table of contents only
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Davis (Central) Library Non-Fiction||Non-Fiction||190.9 WHA||1||Available|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
Following on from the success of the first edition of What Philosophers Think , this second edition brings together a collection of interviews with some of the world's most important and influential philosophers and intellectuals and leading figures in the arts and politics, including: Bernard Williams - Onora O'Neill - Philippa Foot - Philip Pullman - Bhikhu Parekh - Slavoj Žižek - AC Grayling - Igor Alexander - Alexander McCall Smith - Daniel Dennett - Oliver Letwin The interviews - all revised and expanded from The Philosopher's Magazine - cover a wide range of issues and offer a unique insight into the minds behind the great ideas of today. Always lively, provocative and accessible, these interviews get to the heart of today's most vital questions.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
1. Politics and philosophy / Oliver Letwin -- 2. 11 September / Roundtable -- 3. Security and the war on terror' / Roundtable -- 4. Terrorism and punishment / Ted Honderich -- 5. Multiculturalism / Bhikhu Parekh -- 6. Multiculturalism, pluralism and tolerance / Slavoj Zizek -- 7. Trust and autonomy / Onora O'Neill -- 8. Philosophy and public understanding / A. C. Grayling -- 9. Making babies / Mary Warnock -- 10. Goodness / Philippa Foot -- 11. Love / The Soho Symposium -- 12. Truth and truthfulness / Bernard Williams -- 13. The metaphysics of quality / Robert M. Pirsig -- 14. Philosophy and the novel / Alexander McCall Smith -- 15. Writing for children / Philip Pullman -- 16. Artificial intelligence / Igor Aleksander.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Oliver Letwin - On politics and philosophy
- Roundtable - On September 11
- Roundtable - On security and 'the war on terror'
- Ted Honderich - On terrorism and punishment
- Bhikhu Parekh - On multiculturalism
- Slavoj Å½iÅ¾ek - On multiculturalism, pluralism and tolerance
- Onora O'Neill - On trust and autonomy
- Anthony Grayling - On philosophy and public understanding
- Mary Warnock - On making babies
- Philippa Foot - On goodness
- The Soho Symposium - On love
- Bernard Williams - On truth and truthfulness
- Robert M Pirsig - On the Metaphysics of Quality
- Alexander McCall Smith - On philosophy and the novel
- Philip Pullman - On writing for children
- Igor Aleksander - On artificial intelligence