The road to Stalingrad : Stalin's war with Germany. volume one / John Erickson.
By: Erickson, John.Material type: BookSeries: Cassell military paperbacks: Publisher: London : Cassell Military, 2003Description: 608 pages : illustrations ; 20cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 0304365416.Subject(s): World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Soviet Union | World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Eastern Front | World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Russia (Federation)
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Davis (Central) Library Non-Fiction||Non-Fiction||940.54217 ERI||1||Available|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
The first of two volumes in John Erickson's monumental history of the Soviet-German war.
In THE ROAD TO STALINGRAD Professor Erickson takes us in detail from the inept command structures and strategic delusions of the pre-invasion Soviet Union, through the humiliations as her armies fell back on all fronts before the Barbarossa onslaught, until the tide turned at last at Stalingrad. Unsparingly he assesses the generals and political leaders, and analyses the confusions and wranglings within both Allied and Axis commands. The climax, the grinding battle for Stalingrad, leaves the Red Army poised for its majestic counter-offensive, Operation 'Uranus', discovering it had 'caught a tiger by the tail'.
Originally published: London : Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1975.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Preface (p. vii)
- Introduction: On War Games, Soviet and German (p. 1)
- Book I On Preparedness: Military and Political Developments, Spring 1941
- Chapter 1 The Soviet Military Establishment: Reforms and Repairs (1940-1) (p. 13)
- Chapter 2 'Don't Panic. The "Boss" Knows All About It' (p. 50)
- Book II Halting the Blitzkrieg 22 June 1941-19 November 1942
- Chapter 3 The Sunday Blow: 22 June 1941 (p. 101)
- Chapter 4 The Disaster on the Frontiers: June-July 1941 (p. 136)
- Chapter 5 Towards the Edge of Destruction (p. 180)
- Chapter 6 The Rear, the Deep Rear and Behind the German Lines (p. 223)
- Chapter 7 The Moscow Counter-stroke: November-December 1941 (p. 249)
- Chapter 8 Stalin's First Strategic Offensive: January-March 1942 (p. 297)
- Chapter 9 High Summer and the Road to Stalingrad (p. 343)
- Chapter 10 Transformation at Stalingrad: Operation Uranus (October-November 1942) (p. 394)
- Sources and References (p. 473)
- Index (p. 571)