Knitlandia : a knitter sees the world / Clara Parkes.
By: Parkes, Clara.Material type: BookPublisher: New York, New York : Abrams Press, 2017Copyright date: ©2016Description: 190 pages ; 21 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 1419728075; 9781419728075.Subject(s): Parkes, Clara -- Travel | Parkes, Clara -- Anecdotes | Knitters (Persons) -- Travel -- United States | Knitting -- AnecdotesDDC classification: 746.43/2 Summary: Clara Parkes-renowned knitter, author, and founder of knittersreview.com-is back with more captivating, poignant, and laugh-out-loud funny essays on her knitting and yarn-related travel adventures.Other editions: Reproduction of (manifestation):: Parkes, Clara. Knitlandia
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Status||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Davis (Central) Library Non-Fiction||Non-Fiction||746.432 PAR||Checked out||12/08/2020|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
A New York Times Bestseller
Knitting aficionado and notable artisan Clara Parkes delves into her storied travels with this inspiring and witty memoir on a creative life enriched by her adventures around the world.
Building on the success of The Yarn Whisperer, Parkes's rich personal essays invite readers and devoted crafters on excursions to be savored, from a guide who quickly comes to feel like a trusted confidante. In Knitlandia , she takes readers along on 17 of her most memorable journeys across the globe over the last 15 years, with stories spanning from the fjords of Iceland to a cozy yarn shop in Paris's 13th arrondissement.
Also known for her PBS television appearances and hugely popular line of small-batch handcrafted yarns, Parkes weaves her personal blend of wisdom and humor into this eloquently down-to-earth guide that is part personal travel narrative and part cultural history, touching the heart of what it means to live creatively. Join Parkes as she ventures to locales both foreign and familiar in chapters like:
Fans of travel writing, as well as knitters, crocheters, designers, and fiber artists alike, will enjoy the masterful narrative in these intimate tales from a life well crafted. Whether you've committed to exploring your own wanderlust or are an armchair traveler curled up in your coziest slippers, Knitlandia is sure to inspire laughter, tears, and maybe some travel plans of your own.
"Includes reader's guide and new afterword"--Cover.
Clara Parkes-renowned knitter, author, and founder of knittersreview.com-is back with more captivating, poignant, and laugh-out-loud funny essays on her knitting and yarn-related travel adventures.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Preface: In Motion (p. 6)
- Chasing a Legend in Taos (p. 11)
- From Baseball to Broadway: Swatching in the Big Apple (p. 21)
- Perky Skeins and Fast Cars: Los Angeles (p. 27)
- Naked Lopi: A Knitter's Journey to Iceland (p. 32)
- Big Fleece and Fried Dough: West Friendship, Maryland (p. 59)
- Lucky in Loveland: An Interweave Summons (p. 67)
- Glass, Grass, and the Power of Place: Tacoma, Washington (p. 75)
- Cloudburst over Paris (p. 89)
- A Thing for Socks and a Very Big Plan: Portland, Oregon (p. 96)
- Mighty Scoops and Pho to Go: Celebrating TNNA in Columbus (p. 103)
- On Air in Cleveland: Filming Knitting Daily TV (p. 111)
- Autumn on the Hudson: Rhinebeck, New York (p. 120)
- Merriment in Minnetonka (p. 123)
- Stash-Wrangling in the Mile-High City: Denver (p. 133)
- Cashmere Dreams and British Breeds: A Last-Minute Visit to Edinburgh, Scotland (p. 145)
- Romancing the Loons: Holderness, New Hampshire (p. 164)
- Afterword (p. 181)
- Acknowledgments (p. 185)
- A Reader's Guide (p. 186)