Goldmine's essential guide to record collecting / Dave Thompson.
By: Thompson, Dave.Material type: BookPublisher: Iola, WI : Krause Publications, Copyright date: ©2017Description: 239 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 1440248036; 9781440248030.Other title: Essential guide to record collecting | Record collecting.Subject(s): Sound recordings -- Collectors and collecting | Sound recordings -- History | Sound recording industry -- HistoryDDC classification: 781.63
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Status||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Gonville Library Gonville Play||Non-Fiction||780.266 THO||Available|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
Your Vinyl Answer
Goldmine's Essential Guide to Record Collecting celebrates some of the finest vinyl ever pressed by music's greatest artists. You'll find the royalty of Rock (Elvis, The Beatles, the Rolling Stones), the pioneers of Punk (The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones), Motown's movers and shakers (Berry Gordy, Marvin Gaye, Gladys Knight), Jazz kings (Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Dexter Gordon), Disco queens (Donna Summer, Diana Ross, Deniece Williams), the first couple of Folk (Joan Baez and Bob Dylan), and a host of others from Psychedelia, Classical and the Eighties.
Filled with record art, concert posters and artist profiles, as well as lists and values of the best rarities, 45s, 78s and albums from across the musical spectrum, Goldmine's Essential Guide to Record Colleting isn't the reason you'll love vinyl. But it just might be the reason your love affair will last.
Edison vs. Berliner: another format war -- The birth of vinyl -- Grading vinyl -- Yesterday and today -- Money (that's what I spend) -- Box sets and treasure troves -- All that jazz -- The birth of rock 'n' roll -- And then there was Elvis -- Mono: music for the one-track mind -- Dylan, Baez and the folk rock boom -- Motown: American pop -- How to collect the Beatles -- Rolling with the Stones -- Psychedelia-- getting your freak on -- Collecting David Bowie -- Dancing at the disco ball -- Pub and punk rock -- The eighties -- The classics -- Record collecting today.
A collection of short essays discussing various elements of the sound recording industry, and how to navigate the world of record collecting, this book also includes multiple discographies of the most valuable recordings in various genres and collecting areas.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Introduction (p. 5)
- Chapter 1 Edison vs. Berliner: Another Format War (p. 8)
- Chapter 2 The Birth of Vinyl (p. 19)
- Chapter 3 Grading Vinyl (p. 31)
- Chapter 4 Yesterday and Today (p. 38)
- Chapter 5 Money (That's What I Spend) (p. 47)
- Chapter 6 Box Sets and Treasure Troves (p. 55)
- Chapter 7 All That Jazz (p. 63)
- Chapter 8 The Birth of Rock 'n' Roll (p. 73)
- Chapter 9 And Then There Was Elvis (p. 91)
- Chapter 10 Mono, Music for the One-Track Mind (p. 101)
- Chapter 11 Dylan, Baez and the Folk Rock Boom (p. 115)
- Chapter 12 Motown: America's Pop (p. 131)
- Chapter 13 How to Collect The Beatles (p. 140)
- Chapter 14 Rolling With The Stones (p. 153)
- Chapter 15 Psychedelia - Getting Your Freak On! (p. 167)
- Chapter 16 Collecting Dave Bowie (p. 177)
- Chapter 17 Dancing at the Disco Bail (p. 187)
- Chapter 18 Pub and Punk Rock (p. 197)
- Chapter 19 The Eighties (p. 210)
- Chapter 20 The Classics (p. 221)
- Chapter 21 Record Collecting Today (p. 233)