Adventures in democracy : a history of the vote in New Zealand / Neill Atkinson.
By: Atkinson, Neill.
Contributor(s): New Zealand. Electoral Commission.Material type: BookSeries: Otago history series: Publisher: Dunedin, N.Z. : University of Otago Press in association with the Electoral Commission, 2003Description: 319 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 1877276588 (pbk.) :.Subject(s): Women -- Suffrage -- New Zealand | Democracy -- New Zealand -- History | Elections -- New Zealand -- History | Voting -- New Zealand -- History | Political culture -- New Zealand -- History | Suffrage -- New Zealand -- History | New Zealand -- Politics and government | New Zealand. Parliament | Elections -- New Zealand | Electoral Processes | New Zealand -- Politics and governmentDDC classification: 324.60993
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Notes||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Alexander Library | Te Rerenga Mai o Te Kauru Stack Room||Stack Room||324.993 ATK||1||Reference Only||Temporarily unavailable for check out|
|Heritage & Archives||Alexander Library | Te Rerenga Mai o Te Kauru Heritage Collections||Heritage Collections (Glassroom)||324 ATK||1||Reference Only|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
In the first comprehensive history of the vote and elections published in New Zealand, Neill Atkinson traces the evolution of a distinctive democracy since the beginning of representative government in the 1850s. From the creation of Maori seats in 1867 and the world-leading women's suffrage legislation of 1893, to the dramatic transition to proportional representation in the 1990s, New Zealand's democratic innovations have been shaped by pragmatism, principles and personalities. Illustrated with over 100 photographs, cartoons and posters, this book also looks at how elections were organized, how candidates and political parties ran their campaigns, and how the new media of radio and television changed elections forever.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -264) and index.
2 5 7 11 12 22 27 74 89 102 115 149 159
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Foreword (p. 7)
- Acknowledgements (p. 8)
- Introduction (p. 9)
- 1 'Lilliputian Politics and Teapot Tempests', 1853-70 (p. 23)
- 2 From a Privilege to a Right, 1870-90 (p. 53)
- 3 Liberals, Feminists and Wowsers, 1890-1908 (p. 81)
- 4 Turbulent Years, 1908-35 (p. 115)
- 5 Two-Party Politics, 1935-66 (p. 145)
- 6 A Crisis of Confidence, 1966-84 (p. 177)
- 7 Searching for a Better Democracy, 1984-2002 (p. 201)
- Conclusion: Pragmatism and Principle (p. 235)
- A Key Dates in Electoral Reform, 1852-2002 (p. 241)
- B General Elections, 1853-2002 (p. 244)
- C Seats Held by Political Parties after General Elections, 1890-1993 (p. 247)
- D Seats Held by Political Parties after MMP General Elections, 1996-2002 (p. 252)
- E Electoral Administrators, 1905-2002 (p. 254)
- Bibliography (p. 257)
- Notes (p. 265)
- Index (p. 311)