Royal gardeners : the history of Britain's Royal gardens / Alan Titchmarsh.
By: Titchmarsh, Alan.Material type: BookPublisher: London : BBC, 2003Description: 192 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 29 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 0563488972 :.Other title: Royal gardens.Subject(s): Royal gardens -- Great Britain | Royal gardens -- Great Britain -- History | Gardeners -- Great Britain | Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- DwellingsDDC classification: 712.60941
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due|
|Non-Fiction||Davis (Central) Library Non-Fiction||Non-Fiction||635 TIT||1||Available|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
Alan Titchmarsh takes us on a fascinating tour through the history of Britain's royal gardens from medieval times to the present day. Taking in existing royal gardens as well as many that now only exist in paintings, Alan uncovers the stories behind the gardens and the colourful monarchs who created them. through to the modern day developments at the Prince of Wales' home at Highgrove, Alan takes a highly personal canter through Britain's gardening heritage. Fully illustrated with original plans, designs, letters, planting records and full colour diagrams of the major surviving gardens, this book charts some of the most outstanding gardens in Britain.
Includes bibliography and index.
5 11 74 82 89 96 98 105 123 135 149 180 189
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Introduction (p. 6)
- William the Conqueror to Richard III (1066-1485): 1066 and All That (p. 8)
- Henry VII to Elizabeth I (1485-1603): Power Gardening under the Tudors (p. 34)
- James I to William and Mary (1603-1702): Renaissance, Repression and Restoration (p. 62)
- George I to William IV (1714-1837): The House of Hanover--Improving on Nature (p. 94)
- Victoria (1837-1901): Invention, Introductions and Ingenuity (p. 120)
- Edward VII to Elizabeth II (1901 to date): Twentieth-century Growth (p. 154)
- Gardens to Visit (p. 186)
- Index (p. 189)