Writing your novel from start to finish : a guidebook for the journey / Joseph Bates.Material type: TextPublisher: Cincinnati, Ohio : Writer's Digest Books, 2015Copyright date: ©2015Edition: First paperback edition.Description: 261 pages ; 23 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 9781599639215 (pbk.); 1599639211 (pbk.).Subject(s): Fiction -- Authorship | Fiction -- Technique | Creative writing | Plots (Drama, novel, etc.) | Authorship | Creative writingDDC classification: 808.3
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due||Barcode||Item holds|
|Non-Fiction||Davis (Central) Library Non-Fiction||Non-Fiction||808.3 BAT||1||Available||T00593181|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
Equip yourself for the novel-writing journey!<br> <br> Starting a novel is exciting, but finishing it--that's the real challenge. The journey from beginning to end is rife with forks in the road and dead ends that lead many writers off course. With Writing Your Novel from Start to Finish: A Guidebook for the Journey , you'll navigate the intricacies of crafting a complex work of fiction and complete the journey with confidence and precision.<br> <br> To maximize your creativity and forward momentum, each chapter offers:<br> <br> * Techniques to break down the elements of the novel--from character-building to plotting and pacing<br> * Mile Markers to anticipate and overcome roadblocks like ineffective dialogue and "the unchanged protagonist"<br> * Guidelines for Going Deeper to explore and implement more nuanced aspects of storytelling, such as finding your voice and the role of theme<br> * Try-It-Out Exercises and 27 interactive worksheets that help elevate your writing.<br> No matter your level of experience or where you are in your project, Writing Your Novel from Start to Finish provides the instruction, inspiration, and guidance you need to complete your journey successfully.
Introduction -- Part one: Beginnings ; Developing initial ideas ; Character concepting ; Plot planning ; Narration ; Building a world: description and setting ; Opening scene and first-act structure -- Part one scenic overlook -- Part two: Middles ; Crafting and maintaining suspense ; Raising the stakes ; Complicating your characters ; Pivotal scenes: plotting and pacing ; Part two scenic overlook -- Part three: Endings ; The art of closing well ; Plotting for the payoff ; Coming full circle ; Revision: discovering what you meant ; Part three scenic overlook -- Appendixes -- Appendix A: practical tips for the novelist -- Appendix B: worksheets -- Index.
"Inside this resource ... you'll find a combination of exercises, how-to instruction, and motivational passages to keep you moving forward every time you sit down in front of your computer screen. No matter your skill level or genre, Writing Your Novel from Start to Finish will help you set goals and attain tiny wins that keep you motivated along the way to your completed novel" -- provided by publisher.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- Introduction (p. 1)
- Part 1 Beginnings (p. 4)
- Chapter 1 Developing Initial Ideas (p. 6)
- Chapter 2 Character Concepting (p. 25)
- Chapter 3 Plot Planning (p. 48)
- Chapter 4 Narration (p. 62)
- Chapter 5 Building a World: Description and Setting (p. 85)
- Chapter 6 Opening Scene and First-Act Structure (p. 98)
- Part 1 Scenic Overlook (p. 117)
- Part 2 Middles (p. 121)
- Chapter 7 Crafting and Maintaining Suspense (p. 123)
- Chapter 8 Raising the Stakes (p. 135)
- Chapter 9 Complicating Your Characters (p. 149)
- Chapter 10 Pivotal Scenes: Plotting and Pacing (p. 160)
- Part 2 Scenic Overlook (p. 167)
- Part 3 Endings (p. 172)
- Chapter 11 The Art of Closing Well (p. 174)
- Chapter 12 Plotting for the Payoff (p. 185)
- Chapter 13 Coming Full Circle (p. 194)
- Chapter 14 Revision: Discovering What You Meant (p. 202)
- Part 3 Scenic Overlook (p. 211)
- Appendix A Practical Tips for the Novelist (p. 216)
- Appendix B Worksheets (p. 221)
- Index (p. 255)