Dawber, Carol,

Ladies of Lethenty / Carol Dawber, Sarah Pickering. - 224 pages : geological tables, illustrations (some colour), portraits plans ; 20 cm

Includes bibliographical references and index.

In 1874, Scotsman James Glenny Wilson brought his Australian bride, Anne Wilson (nee Adams), to the Rangitikei where he was developing his sheep station, Ngaio. They settled in Bulls in a cottage they called Lethenty and later extended, and when it burned down in 1914 they built a large home on the same site. Annie, Lady Wilson, was a gifted writer, a keen gardener, an accomplished needlewoman and a lady of society. Her daughters Jean and Nancy Wilson kept up the family traditions of music, hospitality and community service. Nancy was awarded the MBE for her services to scouting. Annie's granddaughter Hilary Haylock, who made her own considerable contribution to the property and the community, received an MBE for services to girl guides and the community. Lethenty is now a century old and still occupied by James and Annie's descendants who have unobtrusively brought their neo-Georgian home into the 21st century while cherishing the furnishings and fittings of previous generations.


Lethenty (Bulls, N.Z. : House)--History.

Historic buildings--New Zealand--Bulls.
Dwellings--History.--New Zealand--Bulls

Bulls (N.Z.)--History.